Saturday, June 2, 2007

THE TOURNEY - DAY 1, SATURDAY

It's nervous time. In about an hour, "Shuffle up and deal!" will boom through a muffled PA system as Stewdog and I sweat our first hand of the tournament. I'm wondering what my first hole cards will be. Probably something borderline, just to torture me. Ace Jack suited, or pocket sevens.

And I wonder who'll be sitting at my table. Maybe 8 other no-names with the same pipe dream, asking themselves the same question. Then again, when I toured the floor yesterday, I saw the likes of Gus Hansen, Jennifer Harmon, Chris "Jesus" Ferguson, Phil Ivey and countless other marquee poker stars.

Ace Jack suited. I'll want to play the hand. But I won't. It's Day 1, and I'm officially in survival mode for the first 2 hours. After that, it'll be time to play some poker.

No comments: