Sunday, June 3, 2007

End of Day 1 - Good News, Bad News

OK, first the good news: I got to sit and play with a true poker icon today. David "The Dragon" Pham. He's the nicest guy in the world, and even autographed my "Poker Shoes".

More good news. I've officially made it to Day 2 of a WSOP event. We started with 2,998 players, making this the 3rd largest field for a poker tournament in the history of EVER. Only the 2006 and 2005 Main Events boasted more entrants. There are 270 players left, and I'm lucky to be one of them.

I also made the money, which means I'm guaranteed a cash prize of at least $3,400.

The bad news? I'm running out of chips. Even though I've maintained a stack of around $20,000, my chipstack relative to those of the other players is way low. As soon as I sit down tomorrow, I'm gonna have to push all-in and pray. So it's unlikely that I'll be in contention for the $727,000 first place prize. But, ya never know.

"The Dragon" was (unfortunately) sitting to my left, and kicked my ass (and the collective asses of the table) all night. He actually read my cards blind 3 times. My hands were virtually exposed to him in a way I can't begin to explain. I'm starting to think the pros really are paranormally gifted. It was fascinating to experience, but it sucked. Big time.

So tomorrow is Day 2, and I'll need the poker gods to shine on me a bit. The ESPN crews will be there, and hopefully I'll stick it out long enough to make the broadcast. Play begins at 2pm. Now, I sleep. Peace.

No comments: